Thursday, February 3, 2011

Projects

I've been reading too many DIY blogs as of late. Now, I think I can do anything.

Before




After



(Although I did end up hiring a painter to finish this job.)

I'll make a long story short. The previous owners put a wood stain product over normal white doors. Now I want them all painted back to white. It's a better look and besides, the wood stain is chipping. I thought I was clever and used Behr Primer and Paint in one to save time. The man at the store did tell me to lightly sand first. Well, I skipped that step. And left the tape on too long on the sides with, oh say, 4 coats of paint dried on top of it. (I was experimenting with colors). Needless to say, when I pulled up the tape, the paint peeled right up with it. I spent days peeling off paint, sanding off paint, stripping off paint. Then I threw up my hands and hired a painter to finish it off.

I did pick up some more tips watching them paint. Namely, that sanding is important. And, you can paint in the sides of trim without taping. Wow. I gotta practice that one!

Then I experimented on another door.


The left panel was done in this process: Sand lightly, two coats of Behr Paint and Primer in one (a latex product). The right panel was finished: Skip the sanding, two coats of oil-based primer, one coat of Paint and Primer. It's been a day or so now and the left panel is not peeling. Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Did I mention that the wood stain product is *oil-based*. That means the shine needs to be sanded off or needs to be covered in the right oil-based primer that can accept latex on top.

I know this now. Not so much before. Or rather, that these are hard and fast rules to follow, not general tips that can be omitted. :)

Now that I know how to paint these doors, I only have 20 more doors to do. Only.

And since I'm in a painting sort of mind. I think these rooms need some new paint on those walls.

Kitchen with *painted* words on the soffit.


Dining Room

The Living Room

See a theme? Begone faux painting, begone!

These can be begone, too.

This is in my dining room. It's a lot of crystals. A lot for one little old room. It belongs in a ballroom, methinks. And I don't know how to disassemble it or even get it down. It is HEAVY.


This fun number is yet another crystal chandelier that is hanging from my two-story foyer. Wow. I don't even know how to get that down. I can't imagine how much it weighs. BTW, there is no way to change a lightbulb in that sucker. And there are *many* lightbulbs in there. I keep imagining shooting an arrow at just the right point to let it fall into a big box below. That could be fun! Just like those movie scenes where someone shoots/slices the hanging rope just as the person falls.

So, I'm open to any and all suggestions for paint color and how to get these chandeliers out of my house. (Previous owners paid some serious cash for these shiny guys. I'd like to sell on Craigslist. I just need to figure out how to get it down!)

One more thing before you go.

Chipped veneer from my dining room table. It happened during our move.
Repair the veneer or paint the table?
I never really cared for the veneer finish. It has a touch of too much cherry in there.



1 comment:

Katie B said...

Yay! I'd have gotten a painter too. I did the same thing with tape when we painted the boys room- frustrating! I say paint the table if it's already not your favorite look!