Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Boys' Playlist

The tradition in our household is that I sing the boys a goodnight song when I tuck 'em in. Usually, it's their usual. I made up one for Noah when he was a baby. It goes like this:
Go to Sleep
Go to Sleep
Go to sleep, little baby
Go to sleep
Go to sleep
Go to sleep, little boy
Go to sleep
Go to sleep, little boy
Go to sleep
Go to sleep
Little Boooooy

Clever, I know.

Then, when the boys started sharing a room, Ethan wanted his own song. Wanna hear it? Okay!

Ethan, close your eyes now
Close your eyes
and go to sleep and
when you wake up in the morning
We will (insert something fun, new, interesting that will happen the next day)
So, Ethan, close your eyes and
go to sleeeeeep

That one has a faster tempo.

Then, Noah thought he outgrew his baby song. At first, I'd mess up and call him a baby, and he'd interrupt me and protest, "I'm not a baby! I'm a big boy!" Okay. No prob. Insert boy for all baby, then.

And before I knew it, Noah started requesting "The Ethan Song". So, I sing Noah the Ethan song. Noah likes to use people's names as adjectives. He calls his soy butter, Noah butter; the soy milk, Noah milk; and soy yogurt - you got it, Noah yogurt.

Tonight, though, Noah throws me for a loop. I sing him the Ethan song. Then he asks for the "tree swaying song" while swaying his hands in the air. Ooookay? I've been down this road with him before, where he asks me to sing his imaginary song. So, I follow suit and we sing about trees swaying, then they stand still and they say good night.

I think Josh is better suited for this, but he's asleep, and there I am, and Noah is happy with my performance. Then asks for me to sing Blackbird. Blackbird Fly, I ask? Noah sings the first verse for me. Cool. I just had to help with the last line. Which I mess up, too.

Then Noah belts out Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Oh, good, the classics! Then, he wants We Will Rock You. Hey, another classic! He wants it loud, but I tell him I have to sing softly. Finally, I ask, Band on the Run? No, he says, too boring.

Alrighty, moving on to Ethan! I climb up to his bed and he promptly sings me the complete - and correct - verse of Blackbird. I congratulate him. He congratulates himself and tucks himself in bed to await his Ethan song.

Little boys. I love them so.

2 comments:

Katie B said...

Aw, how sweet. I didn't know the boys were such singers!

Mom Z said...

I love them too!!!